Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Internet Explorer 11
Will No Longer Be Supported as of November 20, 2020. Read More...
FAU Medical Library
To return to the Medical and Health Sciences Collections and User Services page, please click here.
Use PICO to formulate your research question & search strategy
P – Patient, population or problem
- How would I describe a group of patients similar to mine?
I – Intervention
- Drug, diagnostic test etc. . .
C – Comparative Intervention (optional)
- Gold standard or other comparison
O – Outcome (optional)
- Desired result
1. ASK: Construct a well-built, answerable clinical question based on an individual patient or public health need
2. ACQUIRE: The best evidence to answer the clinical question
3. APPRAISE: Appraise that evidence for its validity and applicability
4. APPLY: Integrate the appraised information with clinical expertise and patient’s unique circumstances
5. EVALUATE: Evaluate your effectiveness and efficiency in carrying out steps 1-4
What is EBM?
Evidence Based Medicine is the “integration of the best research evidence with our clinical expertise and our patient’s unique values and circumstances.”
Types of Information Sources
Medical Liaison and Outreach Librarian
Senior Medical Librarian & Department Head