Skip to Main Content
This summer, we are working to upgrade the research experience by making ongoing improvements to our Research Guides.
You may encounter changes in the look and feel of the Research Guides website along with structural changes to our existing guides.
If you have any questions or concerns about this process
please let us know
Database Interface Example
Academic Search Complete (EBSCO) Database Interface
The main search page for a database is called its interface. The appearance of one database interface may look different than that of another; however, an interface generally has the following features:
- Search Field: enter keywords or terms that describe a topic.
- Boolean Operators: using the terms AND (to combine 2 keywords), OR (search for one keyword or an alternative one), or NOT (find one keyword but exclude another from results) in a search. Databases generally default to AND.
- Select a Field: look for a keyword within certain fields, such as author, title, or publication title.
- Limiters: narrow a search to find information with certain characteristics, such as being full text only, a peer reviewed journal, or publication type.
- Search: the button that executes a database search.
Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new window
The world's largest scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database. This scholarly collection offers information in nearly every area of academic study including computer sciences, engineering, physics, chemistry, language and linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences, and ethnic studies.
Last updated on Apr 3, 2023 2:42 PM