What it is: Check for the original source of an image you have
What it does: Looks on webpages for the same image you have
Here are the basics of doing a reverse image search:
- Log into the reverse image search engine or RISE (see sites to the right)
- Most RISEs will allow you to search in one or more of these ways:
1) paste the image URL,
2) upload an image, or
3) drag an image to the search box.
- The reverse search image tells you where the image was found on web pages.
- You may or may not be able to determine the source of the image.
- Before using an image that you have found, check to see if the original creator has granted license for its use in the manner you wish to use it.
- You may need to contact the original creator to seek permission or license to use an image.
When you have determined that an image is licensed for use, remember to give credit to the creator of that licensed image.