Instruction and Engagement Services Goals for Library Instruction
The following goals are based on FAU's Distinction Through Discovery Quality Enhancement Plan and the Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education and Information Literacy Competencies for Higher Education:
1. Students will understand the knowledge of the scope and variety of available library resources and differentiate their uses.
2. Students will understand the steps and tools of the research process.
3. Students will understand the flexible use of multiple technologies in the research process.
4. Students will benefit in their knowledge and understanding of library research from the integrated partnership between faculty and librarians working together to facilitate student research.
The purpose of this guide is to assist faculty and instructors with creating, honing, and continuously improving research-based assignments. Use the tabs above to navigate the guide.
Faculty and staff of FAU (Boca Raton Campus) and Palm Beach State College - Boca Raton Campus can request a library instruction session for a class. Request a one-on-one consultation or orientation at the Research Consultation page.
Information Literacy & Instructional Services (ILIS)
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Students will differentiate scholarly resources from popular works.
2. Students will develop a research statement and formulate questions based on information needs.
3. Students will develop a search strategy appropriate to the investigative method.
4. Students will critically evaluate information for reliability, authority, accuracy, and relevancy
5. Students will understand what “plagiarism” is and its importance in the academic setting.
6. Students will be able to identify the appropriate citation style to cite sources