Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Internet Explorer 11
Will No Longer Be Supported as of November 20, 2020. Read More...
What's a Call Number?
Refer to call numbers to find our books on the shelves. Every book is assigned a call number which tells you where in the library you can find it. Need more help, click here.
Find Books Beyond FAU
The WorldCat database allows you to search a combined catalog of most of the libraries in North America, and many in other parts of the world. Items not owned by FAU may be ordered through the Interlibrary Loan service.
WorldCat is now available on the new WorldCat Discovery platform. A comprehensive catalog with over 179 million bibliographic records representing library collections from around the world. The catalog includes books, print journals, DVDs, historic photos, video games, musical scores, newspapers, webpages and other items.
Locating Books in the Library
FAU Library Catalog:
The Library Catalog allows you to search for books, government documents, DVDs, electronic books, and other materials in the Library's collection. The catalog will tell you if the library owns a particular periodical (journal or magazine) but does not include the articles found in periodicals. To find these you must use a different database (click on the "Finding Articles" tab above).
To find books containing literary criticism, do an "Anywhere" (keyword) search on the author's name followed by the word criticism.
The Advanced search screen allows you to combine terms using “and, or, not” as well as limiting a search by location, date, format, or language.
Getting Started - Southern Culture Books
How do I Search the Catalog
Off Campus Connect
If you are using FAU's online resources from off campus, please authenticate yourself by logging in at Off Campus Connect.
Southern Culture - keywords
Using OneSearch, search for articles on topics within Southern Culture using the following terms within the search box:
"Southern culture" "United States"
Add additional terms to narrow down to your topic (i.e.,
- literature (William Faulkner)
- music (or jazz, hip-hop, blues, or a particular performer [Elvis Presley] or particular instrument [dobro or dulcimer])
- cuisine (or cooking, food, barbecue)
- architecture (plantation style, a particular building)
- race (or racism, racial attitudes, Klan, racial violence, racial healing)
- religion (or religious music, Martin Luther King, Jr.)
- Rebels (or CSA or Confederate States of America, reenactments)
- location (Appalachia, Charleston, New Orleans, sundown towns/counties)
- movies (Gone with the Wind, Sweet Home Alabama, Driving Miss Daisy)
- poetry (Langston Hughes)
- hospitality (traditions, symbols)
- ethnic cleansing (Alabama, Cherokee, Catawba, Choctaw, Muscogee, Seminoles)