Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Databases for Literary Critcism
Literature Online (LION)
Provides access to more than 350,000 works of English and American poetry, drama and prose, 180 full-text literature journals, and other key criticism and reference resources.
Literature Resource Center (Gale)
Delivers biographical and bibliographical information on authors and their works. Covers authors of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama, history, and journalism.
Funded by statewide allocation.
Finding Literary Criticism in OneSearch
To find literary criticism about a book, poem, play, etc.:
- Type in Search Box
- Name of book, poem, play, etc. in quotation marks, i.e., "Tom Sawyer"
- Boolean operator "AND"
- "criticism" (does not need to be in quotation marks)
- To narrow results
- By Author-
- Add author's name to search string using Boolean "AND," i.e., AND shakespeare
- Do NOT type author's name in author space in Advanced Search, as this would limit the search to only articles and books written by the author, and would not include literary criticism written by others.
- Content Type
- Subject Terms -
- choose "more options" and check appropriate terms to include and/or exclude
- Terms display in order of the numer of times that term appears in search (highest at top). Can also rearrange alphabetically (see A-Z at top right corner of subject terms box)
- Included terms can be "unchecked" from the search results page
- Excluded terms can be "un-x-marked" from the search results page
- Exclude a specific author from a search by using "NOT" in front of the author's name