Skip to Main Content
Beginning this summer and throughout the fall semester, we are working to upgrade the research experience by making ongoing improvements to our Research Guides.
You may encounter changes in the look and feel of the Research Guides website along with structural changes to our existing guides.
If you have any questions or concerns about this process
please let us know
Accessibility, Inclusion, and Action in Medical Education: Lived Experiences of Learners and Physicians with Disabilities [AAMC]
Identifying cultural and structural barriers and catalyzing institutional policies that support all qualified learners, regardless of disability, throughout the medical education continuum is a worthy and essential goal. This publication weaves together major themes from interviews conducted with 47 students, residents, and physicians with disabilities.
Disability and Ableism in Medicine: A Curriculum for Medical Students [MedEd Portal]
Educational Objectives: By the end of this curriculum, learners will be able to:
1. Explain possible influences of disability on patient health and clinical encounters.
2. Compare and contrast the medical and social models of disability.
3. Discuss the meaning and manifestations of ableism in and beyond the health care context.
4. Identify the ways in which ableism contributes to health and health care disparities.
5. Generate solutions through which medical communities can address ableist norms and practices.
6. Reflect on their relationship to disability and how it could impact their future clinical practice.
Helping Medical Schools Assist Students with Disabilities: An Introduction to The Coalition for Disability Access in Health Science and Medical Education [AAMC]
This webinar, recorded on April 14, 2015 first in a series, introduces medical schools to the coalition [for Disability Access in Graduate Health Science and Medical Education] and provides an overview about the prevalence of SWD in medical education, legally mandated services, effective collaboration, the need for disability expertise in medical education, the mission and initiatives of the coalition, as well as information about joining the list-serv.
Materials & Multimedia About Disability & Health [CDC]
This page of the CDC's Disability and Health Promotion Branch provides fact sheets, infographics, videos, webinars and podcasts.
Users can use the left navigation column to check out the other resources the Disability and Health Promotion page offers visitors.
Working With People With Disabilities: An Interactive Video/Lecture Session for First- and Second-Year Medical Students [MedEd Portal]
Educational Objectives: By the end of this session, learners will be able to:
1. Discuss the concept of disability.
2. Describe barriers to effective health care for individuals with disability.
3. List several possible causes of provider discomfort in caring for individuals with disability.
4. Delineate a four-part framework for approaching individuals with disability in a clinical encounter.
5. Appraise personal comfort level and preparation to approach a patient with disability pre- and postsession.
Last updated on Nov 30, 2022 4:08 PM